22 September 2008

Drive to distraction

It was 13 September (and the date should have given me a clue) that I tried to reboot the computer after a split-second power cut, which always manages to shut mine down if no one else's. There was a humming sound of the starting up process, then a strange grinding noise from inside the tower and a message on the screen, the gist of which was: “Oops, sorry, can't get myself to work, there seems to be some malfunction, try again”. Well, you try again, don't you? And again and again and again, until you realise that there is something seriously wrong.

Phoned our normal computer repair guy, who had most unfairly taken himself back to the UK for a short contract. He said confusing things about getting a new hard drive and making the original a slave drive, as it was probably system folders that were at fault As that procedure involved fundamental skills that I didn't think I had (I said confusing before because, although I know how to build websites, I know very little about what goes on under the bonnet of a computer. Or a car, for that matter.), I took the machine to the (French) computer shop and left it with them, explaining the symptoms and asking them to do what had been suggested.

Yesterday I went to pick it up. They hadn't phoned to say it was ready, possibly because they weren't sure how to tell me the problem, but I was in town and went in to check. The good news is that it's now a lot faster than it was. The bad news is that it's a lot faster than it was because there's nothing on it. Because, lo and behold, they told me the original hard drive was dead. Defunct and inaccessible. Along with all the contents: the email addresses, the passwords for various sites, the raw code for all the websites I've done, the photos for same, the family photos, the documents and letters and stories and poetry I'd written over the past four or five years. Gone. Had I backed things up? No. Backing up is only something you do with a trailer when you go to the tip, isn't it?

So I came away with a new hard drive in an old tower and a seemingly useless piece of circuitry and metal, being the old drive, and since yesterday evening I have been starting all over again as if I'd just got a computer for the first time, bit by bit by bit filling up the 250GB of empty space I've got with certain types of software I thought I had on the old drive. Some of the website stuff I've managed to download again using an FTP program (ie the software one uses to send what's on one's computer into the www – the process can work in reverse as well, which is useful), the email addresses will come back slowly – I probably had too many of them in the first place.

All is possibly not lost, however (in both senses of the word); I spoke to our regular chap and as a result of his talking me through it I now know what the insides of a computer look like. I've peered under the bonnet and got my hands dirty, figuratively speaking, wiring in the old drive as a slave, or secondary, drive (and boy, is there not a lot of space to manoeuvre inside a tower). The fact that a check on that drive's properties shows me that there is nothing on there is not daunting, no, not at all. I've searched Google for the relevant error message I got when I tried to open it and even as I type the new drive is in the process of trying to reconfigure the old. Whether that will work is another thing, but it's got to be worth trying.

Lesson learnt, though: Back up, back up, back up. How you do it is a matter for you, but for the moment I've gone for an online service: http://www.sosonlinebackup.com/ - at least that will keep me less than overstressed as it's automated and I don't have to remember.

9 comments:

  1. You poor thing. Having just read your previous ISP'd off I thought it couldn't get any worse. Yes, backing up is so important isn't it. And do I do it? Nope. I might learn a lesson from this because I know my tower is on its last legs.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true: by coincidence I see that Apple are advertising a 500GB wireless drive costing £199 that just sits there on you desk absorbing everything you do, like a dumb parrot, ready to spout it all out should there ever be a need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to my last comment - oh dear me - Take II. I bet you had some ace Frensch swear words up your sleeve, saved just for occasions such as these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I back up so much now that I almost can't move for back up!
    Blossom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh pluck! I used to back up for Britain but confess I now only keep my document files on a stick....
    Had wondered where you'd been all this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A week before my 15,000 word dissertation was due in I was saving it to disk, when the whole system went into brain storm mode. Corrupted the hard drive, the disk, kerpoot, just like that. Every techie guy at the university tried to sort it out to no avail. I lost the whole lot, bar 2,000 words I'd printed on good old fashioned paper.
    I cried. Then drank gin.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Between this post and the ISP'd off post, all I can say is welcome back. What did we ever do before computers and ISP's? Good to have you back in working order, enough to join us again, anyway. Good luck with your restoration process.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just down-losded a programme called Carbonite - don't pay anything for a short time. It is busy up-loading currently but I will not be able to retrieve till I subscribe. I am also subscribing to another one which I shall stop when I am sure Carbonite is working properly. The only thing is that it just does My Documents and pics but not Family Tree Maker or Quicken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a brilliant little chap down at County Hall who recued everything from my laptop when that happened to me.........so it is retrievable- you just have to have the knowledge.........or the right little chap...........but dont give up on it yet! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete