10 May 2007

Write? Or not.

If I could write as fast as I
Could think, then I should surely try
To put on paper all I think
And drown the world in floods of ink.
But thinking is a quicker skill
Than writing is, and so I will
Attempt to write my very best
And hope I don't forget the rest.

Very dispiriting surfing around the other blogs and noting the different styles of writing. I'd like to be able to write like that, I think, as I read, inwardly chuckle sometimes, and outwardly laugh (at the Dog and Cat diaries, which to be fair isn't a blog, but funny, nevertheless). Is it worth me carrying on? And before anyone rushes in to say, in this mutual appreciation society we have today, of course it is, yes, I know, I will carry on. Everyone's style is different; some are funny, some are straightforward, some are overly-enriched in the adjective department, some are remarkably lucid and straight to the point.

And thank the various gods for the backspace and delete buttons. There was a time when I might have written, for example, "sorry to crap on about this, no, I mean carp on, though the other sense is just as appropriate", but these days, I would have spotted the slip, Freudian or not, and gone back and corrected it. I haven't this time, partly because I've used it as an example, partly because both senses are true: it is a lot of crap to go on about, and I do carp about it occasionally.

Please note, this is nothing to do with chicken plucking, or NOT plucking chickens. Not plucking chickens is something for another day.



1 comment:

  1. This is new blog?

    Is amusing, is from person who like very much playing about with words, and read dictionary with pleasure?

    ReplyDelete