19 May 2007

Grassed off


I cut the grass today, having only cut it two weeks ago. The trouble with grass in Spring and Summer is that once you cut it, it grows again, in a furious game of catch up - 'I must be the length I was before, I must be the length I was before,' is its repeated mantra, and, more often than not, it succeeds, and often exceeds.


Cutting the grass chez nous is a truer phrase then 'mowing the lawn'; the latter implies there is a lawn to start with, a nice, measured and refined variety of grass that knows when to slow down, that enough is enough, that it is time to await the trim reaper before allowing itself an extra growth spurt. Here, in the damp conditions that exist beneath our soil, it grows and grows like nobody's business. Indeed, if we had a business like our grass, we'd be very successful.

Nor for us the neatly defined patch, to be mowed within inches of its life into serried stripes, though I sometimes envy those with such a geometrically configured space of herbage. Ours is a raggle-taggle garden, randomly treed, with humps and bumps and holes, curves and swerves and branches of trees in the way, 'neath which one has to duck to achieve the maximum reach of the arm holding the mower. In such a garden, it's always a delight to hear the screams of delight of the discovery of the hidden grove, soon followed by the screams of pain as the hidden nettle patch is discovered immediately thereafter. Good job we know where the hidden growths of dock are to be found, dock leaves being a much quicker, efficacious and less pungent solution to nettle stings than vinegar, despite the green stains left in their wake.

I don't like cutting the grass. More to the point, I don't like the preparation. We have two large dogs (on the whole, lovely, two Labrador brothers, two years old), penned in by a ground level electric wire and battery-powered collars, so they cannot escape the grounds in order to chase cars, tractors and other agricultural machinery that passes by (you know what's coming, don't you?). Of course, they do what they have to do within the confines of the wire, which means in the mowable area, so I have to go round with a bin bag and a rubber glove before I mow, collecting the various deposits. I have, however, learnt a useless bit of information; that dogs can't digest sweetcorn any more than we can. Nor cotton, having discovered that Youngest was not to blame for the disappearance of my freshly lauindered hankie for a blindfold for the kittens (don't ask).

In the play I have just done there is a line: le nez dans une crotte de chien, elle refuserait de reconnaĆ®tre l'odeur* I, cutting the grass, frequently had no option but to recognise it. As I walked along pushing, or sometimes being dragged behind, the standard petrol mower (no swish ride-on here with our mangled patch) I inevitably came across some of the aforementioned deposits that I had missed in the preparation phase, usually just as the mower passed over them and as the grass-catcher needed emptying. And it doesn’t matter what age they are, the pong is still the same once the dried crust is broken (sorry for this scatological interlude).

Abandoned toys are also a hazard in the long grass, as they spin off into the borders. Many are the one-legged Action Men about the garden now, staggering from perilous mission to perilous mission: “Quick, men, hop this way, it’s that nightmare helicopter again!” Unarmed, unlegged and dangerous, or at least very annoyed. Their jeeps and Land Rovers, too, painted with camouflage paint; you only know you've hit one when you hear the blades complain as they hit it and you see it spinning off to the side, often one wheel the less. And while sticks and stones may not often break my bones, mild injury to uncovered parts of the anatomy is always a risk as they are encountered and shot out at great speed. Always cut the grass in wellies is my motto.

It has to be done, though. Eldest is coming back from her Polish trip tonight and we would hate her to think that we had done nothing in the way of garden maintenance since she left, albeit less than a week ago. It is also true that the longer it is left, the longer it takes to wrestle back into some sort of semblance of tidiness. And, despite not liking the cutting of it, there is great satisfaction in seeing the end result, the taming of the wilderness.

I have discovered that the French expression for a well-kept lawn is un gazon anglais, gazon being French for lawn. Here, the grass is far from being anglais, so we see it as another effort at integration into French life. And, having said that, I’ll cut it there.

12 comments:

  1. Great picture (the duck!)
    I love the description of your grass - ours is similar, except with large mossy patches. We need to mow every week at this time of year, but by July everything stops growing unless watered and we don't waste water on grass. The Great Dane is very happy about that bit of environmental responsibility!
    re the 'deposits'. When we lived in colder climates we had to be sure to do the clean up while everything was frozen, otherwise as spring arrived we'd be scooping Slushies rather than Poopsicles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What he fails to mention is the other reason he is cutting the grass is becasue if he doesn't I shall nag until he does.. its a hrad life being a man and married to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share the acres of humpy bumpy overgrown stuff but I'm sooooo excited as I've just bought an Allen mower on ebay (tractor's too temperamental for me- prefers the husband for whom she behaves beautifully)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would have thought that 'her indoors' would have ordered Madame Grognonne to clear the paths for you beforehand. You poor poor poor man you !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lawns, or yards as they were and are called in my native Virginia, are a rich topic.
    When I grew up, the grass was cut with a lawn mower that was propelled forward by a human. Many fathers, and younger boys-wishing-to-earn-money for pursuits that would today seem very innocent, pushed these rotary heavy mowers around yards all over the suburban green lawns in my neigorhood. Trouble could appear in a twig that had not been removed from the course.
    Time passed. Fuel-fed mowers took over, exercise lessened, noise increased. The grass still grew.
    Nowadays, from what my mom lets me know, lawns are still a very important symbol. To have a lush, evenly mown lawn is gooood.
    To have a scrawny lawn or an overgrown, obviously ignored lawn, is to attract negative opinion.
    I have thought that the attention directed to lawns in the Virginia suburbs could be better directed.
    However, I left that area decades ago, for a city with mostly pavements.
    When I enjoy walking in Central Park and see which lawns are "resting" and fenced off from offensive pedestrians, dogs, rollerbladers and bikes, I am happy. I love knowing that wise caring gardeners will do what is needed to bring back the luscious green. I love knowing that I can walk on that green, sit on it, lie on it, but will never have to mow it.
    (I do contribute, however, to the Central Park Conservancy, since the Park is truly a deserving treasure.)
    I could write more, and planned to write more, about mathematics, but enough for one comment.
    Best wishes from New York.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nor do rubber gloves and balloons digest. I don't need to nag about the grass cutting but it is the only garden job that I don't do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a similar mowing routine to moi, every year I vow to mow every 4 days not every fortnight, it is a disgusting job emptying the grass box when you know you've got half a poop in it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! So you have grass cutting with added turds too? Lovely jubbly. Adrian often comes in with the delightful words, 'Don't come near me, I'm covered in dog ***t!' - as if we didn't already know.... as you say, the smell precedes one.
    But only three weekends to go and no more drive to mow, no more grassy slopes (with hideous gradient). We shall shove a cork in Asbo's bum and roll merrily over our small urban lawn!
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband could have written that blog about the grass (we have never had 'lawns'! It echoes everything here, dog pooh included, and that is not nice especially when he is strimming and some is hidden.
    I am a moss lover myself! And suffering from hay fever I can escape the grass cutting. Now M has heart trouble we are going to invest in a self-propelled mower, where can I get one cheap?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now you're a handy bloke - why not come up with a lawnmower/crottebuster? Sorry have just foun dyour comment about 'Angus, Thongs and full-frontal snogging'; vair vair amusing n'est pas? Well, they appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've completely spoiled it now. I'd been imagining you all completely surrounded by green sward and a parterre. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am tagging you and in case you try to get away without doing it am letting UPL know.

    ReplyDelete