4 November 2007

The Great Grey-Green, Greasy grease trap

"It’s been overflowing since before you went away," she said, accusingly, "and I can’t lift the top off."

So, as a change from website building, I spent much of the daylight hours today grease trap emptying, and what a pleasant task that was, I can tell you.

Step 1. Put on old clothes, or a pair of overalls, preferably both – it splatters – and a nice clean pair of wellies.
Step 2. Retrieve garden spade from where middle and youngest have been building treehouse city (don’t ask). Return there to retrieve pickaxe and stone rake as well.
Step 3. Having located grease trap lid several months ago before fosse inspection and cleared it of grass, mud and other encumbrances, nature has taken its course and grass again needs clearing from around circumference. This is where spade is initially useful, to isolate the 2 foot diameter concrete lid from surrounding vegetation, not forgetting the fact that the trap has been leaking for about two months, so lovely grey water comes into play as well. That done, it’s time for the fun part.
Step 4. Locate lip of lid, realising after minutes of frustration that lid is only 2 inches thick, not 6, so I’d been groping around too deep. Try to lift lid barehanded. Stop trying to lift lid after several efforts, use pickaxe to lever it up. Almost retch at smell and retire to safe distance to drink coffee brought out some time before.
On the left is not the sight that met my eyes, this is the state of it ten minutes later, after I'd removed several greasebergs (think icebergs, but smellier, and much more crumbly) which were in the process of oozing over the top. Having first found and emptied wheelbarrow of last year's blow up pool and other detritus.


The smell of a grease trap has to be experienced to be known, but think of the seriously gummed-up filter of a washing machine or dishwasher, last emptied who knows when, and the detergenty stink of the contents. Got it? Now multiply that smell by, oh, lots and lots, and throw in some rotten fruit smell. That's close to it, but not quite close enough, and too close is not where you want to be to a grease trap that hasn't been emptied for five or six years. Still, that's where I'd got myself.

Step 5. Use your spade, and/or a garden fork, to lift out large lumps of coagulated grease and fat, splatting them into wheelbarrow carefully, to avoid splashback. This compound is known in America as FOG - fat, oil & grease. I know this because after half an hour of seemingly fruitless hoiking of said lumps (the level hadn't decreased by much) I wondered just how deep to clean and just how to do it, so I went and asked Mr Google - the answer? Get a professional company in to do it. Well, at the prices professional companies charge, even if it is in US$, we weren't going to get in anyone. So, back to the trap, stick the spade in, touch the bottom at its handle depth, and decide to plug on and bucket it out, first digging a large hole in which to put it in and cover it up afterwards.

Several large holes and hours later, I'd done enough, to my mind, to ensure that it wouldn't have to be done again for, well, let's just say until the next time. And here is the after shot.
It needed lots of spraying with water, and a paint scraper for the seriously embedded bits, but I'm pretty satisfied.

The smell still lingers, despite copious washing of hands and scrubbing of nails, but I'm sure that will go in time. Just don't eat any of my biscuits that have a lot number of 309 and a use by date of 08 June 2008, cos that's what we're making tomorrow. You have been warned.

17 comments:

  1. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww
    But looks like you did a fab job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needless to stay he will be sleeping in dog kennel tonight if smell still lingering at bedtime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say, UPL, never mind the biscuits, keep away from your family for a few days too - might be something horrendous hiding in all that grease...!
    You deserve a blurdy big pat on the back, Jack. With that experience you could now do it professionally and charge a bomb - possible career change, me thinks...ummm, perhaps not. Mootia x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jackofall - what a clog...er...I mean blog! You are hereby elevated to mythical status among husbands.
    hint: burn your clothes and soak yourself in lemon juice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOh You are so helpful and handy. You couldn't just pop round here for a couple of days ....? I've one or two little jobs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Farmer was tackling our fosse septique on Saturday - you seem to be missing the swearing that accompanied him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job - how many husbands would do that? And how many wives would let them in afterwards?
    Lesson - do it more often........!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cor - GREASE TRAP - what a posh Cesspit you have got . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.
    Wow.
    Shall I say it again, oh sure, wow.

    Once I got a ways into your cleansing report, I did realize that I had been greatly misled, thinking the diameter of the Trap to Be Cleansed was much more petite. Perhaps original photo should have included a hand, or some body part just to establish the scale.

    Now. I do realize that you have not had just the blissful Sunday afternoon.

    Still. Congratulations on doing what needed doing.

    Now. Re FOG, must let you know that those letters do also represent my monogram, if last name letter goes in the middle. I'd always thought that a great metaphor for the miasma of my life. Now, I realize another meaning altogether.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yuuuuck. I bet there was plenty of swearing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definatly a lack of swearing!! And also a serious lack of " do you know where such & such is" and "can you just hold this".........I await une peus version. LOL xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes, I remember it all so well. The overflowing septic whatsit and the line of self-germinating tomato plants along the line of the overflow and the Barmley apple tree that produced mutantly large apples the size of a Christmas cake as it sat with its roots in an abundant supply of water and you know what else. Every now and then a great tanker would come and lay a long, long, line of hose and then the whole shebang would be pumped out. But the smell lingers, and lingers and lingers until it finally dies. It even comes out of the photograph and makes me feel quite nostalgic.

    I've a feeling that there ought to be some animal that will eat the greasy lumps, but I don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uch not sure I wanted to read that but soooo glad we haven't got one. My kitchen waste bin smelled bad enough and lingered too long on the hands after emptying onto the compost recently (it had been left rather to long also), dread to think what smells came from that contraption of yours.

    ReplyDelete